Degree Admission 
 Non-degree Admission 
 How to Apply 
 Preparing for studing in ZJOU 
Preparing for studing in ZJOU  
Preparing for studing in China
Li Zhouyan

Apply for Visa

  International student need to apply for a visa at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General to study in China. First of all, you should know what kind of visa you need to apply:               

  • X1 visa: Issued to those who intend to study in China for a period of more than 180 days.  

  • X2 visa:Issued to those who intend to study in China for a period of no more than 180 days.  

  • F visa: Issued to those who intend to go to China for exchanges, visits, studytours and other activities.  

  • L Visa: Issued to those who intend to go to China as a tourist or student who takes summer program or winter program (such as the Summer Camp).  

   Students organized in form of groups and stay less than 6 months can apply for the F group visas by the authorized invitation letters or fax of the duly authorized unit. If you have identified the visa, Documentations are required:  

  • Original passport  

  • One completed Visa Application Form with a recently-taken color passport photo (bare-head, full face) against a light background attached.  

  • Proof of legal stay or residence status(applicable to those not applying for the visa in their country of citizenship).  

  • Original and photocopy of the Admission Letter.  

  • Original and photocopy of "Visa Application for Study in China", known as Form JW201 or Form JW202 (Only required for X1 Visa).  

  • Photocopy of previous Chinese passports or previous Chinese visas (applicable to foreign citizens those who were Chinese citizens and have obtained foreign citizenship).  



Physical Examination:

   All foreigners who come to China to study for longer than 6 months (i.e. those on an X1 visa) are required to undergo a medical examination.

Therefore, you need to complete the medical examination before you arrive in China. You can download the form ( here )and take the form to a public hospital, undergo a physical examination and have a doctor complete the form. On the last page of the form, the hospital must affix its official seal along with the student’s photograph.


   International students are required to buy both medical insurance and personal accidental death and injury insurance.

   You can buy them either in your own country or in China after your arrival.

   Generally, ZJOU will provide insurance service for you after your arrival.


After Arriving in ZJOU

Health verification:

     Students who are to stay in China for more than 6 months are requested to bring their passports, Admission Notice, the original Foreigner Physical Examination Record and the Blood Test Report to the local health and quarantine office within the due time to have their medical examination reports verified. Students failing to provide Physical Examination Record for Foreigner must have physical examination at the local health and quarantine office nearby the university.

   Students who do not meet the requirements of the above authority will be required to re-take the medical examination. Those who refuse to re- take the medical examination or are diagnosed with diseases that are not permitted to stay in China according to the Chinese laws and regulations will be required to leave China.

Residence Permit:
  After the health verification, International students must apply for residence permit to the local police authority with their passports, Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China within 30 days upon their arrival.

    It is very important to hold a valid residence permit in China. You should keep your visa expiry date in mind and renew it on time. If you visa has expired when you try to renew it, you will be fined RMB¥ 500 per day. Failure to adhere to these regulations will also lead to punishment by Chinese government.  

   1.When to apply/renew?  

At least, 35 days ahead of the expiry date.  

   2. Where to help you to apply/renew?

     Room 206, Administrative Building of Zhejiang Ocean University



(1)X visa. Students with an X Visa who plan to stay in China for more than half a year must obtain the Residence Permit within 30 days of entry in China.

(2)F visa. Students with an F visa are not required to hold a residence permit. “Intended days of stay” in the visa decides their days of stay in China.  

(3)L visa. Students who come to China with an L visa must obtain an X student visa before applying for their residence permit, or else they can only stay in China only within the valid period defined in their L visa.

(4)According to China’s laws, international students, when going out of campus, must carrypassports and other credentials to prove their legal status in China.      

Addr:No.1, Haida South Road, Lincheng Changzhi Island,Zhoushan, Zhejiang, 316022 P.R.China
Tel: +86 580 8180386  Fax +86 580 8180386
E-mail:wsc@zjou.edu.cn  luwashington@126.com
Copyright:2014 Zhejiang Ocean University  All Rights Reserved